In this section we will present to you our instructional videos from the official Cateran Society youtube-channel, but also from branch schools of our society. These are instructional videos on the Broadsword Academy Apprenticeship Program, full interpretations of historical manuals and also training videos with helpfull adivces and detailed help on specific topics.
For all videos you need to follow the official Cateran Society Broadsword Academy Online Apprenticeship Program, please visit the channel of our founder and former president Chris Thompson: Broadsword Academy Lessons
1. Crash-Course in Highland Broadsword: If you want to have a quick start, Jay Maas of the Broadsword Academy Manitoba (Canada) provides an excellent quick video course to teach you all the fundamentals you need in Regimental Swordsmanship:
2. Cpt. G. Sinclair`s “Antipugilism” of 1790: Highland Broadsword Lessons interpreted, filmed and performed by our Cateran J. Maas and his students of the Broadsword Academy Manitoba (Canada). More lessons in the BAM channel.
3. “A Practical Guide to the Use of Highland Broadsword & Targe”: Lessons based on and inspired by Donald McBane (1728), Thomas Page (1746), the Penicuik-Sketches (1745/46) as well as practical experiences. Filmed and performed by Cateran Heiko Große and his students of the Broadsword Academy Germany:
For more lessons, please check the Cateran Society channel
4. Highland/Celtic Wrestling: If you want to into Scottish Wrestling or to train your skills for close-quarter combat with weapons too, this is a good way to start. This is for information, please make sure to be in good health and condition before you train any of these techniques on your own risk. See a doctor to check your health before you start training, warm-up properly and always take care of yourself and your training partners.
Celtic Wrestling Lessons: 10 Lessons of Celtic Wrestling basing on traditional wrestling styles like Irish Collar-and-Ellbow, Scottish Backhold and Loose-hold wrestling. Created and performed by Cateran Vitaliy Negoda, Krasnodar, Russia:
Highland Wrestling Seminar with Zane Grey: Our buddy Zane from Paisley, Scotland came over in 2017 to give the first Highland Wrestling or Scottish Backhold seminar in Germany:
5. Smallsword – John MacArthur (1780): Smallsword is connected to the Broadsword and for famous scottish masters Sir William Hope and Donald McBane it was their first weapon of choice. Jay Maas of the Broadsword Academy Manitoba recently started a lesson video series on the Smallsword by Macarthur (1780), which is classic Smallsword and therefore a very good entry for beginners with this weapon. More to come on the Scottish Smallsword source in the future. Here is Lesson 1, for the following lessons check out the BAM channel:
6. Highland Broadsword – Thomas Page (1746):
The BAM under Cateran Jay Maas is working on a complete interpretation of Thomas Page´s “Use of the Highland Broadsword” (1746). This work is the major source of our socalled Old Style Broadsword lesson set and also provides the most detailled instruction on the Use of Broadsword and Targe. Jay has not finished the lessons yet, but there is already a lot of videos in his channel, so feel free to check them out starting with the very first one:
7. Highland Broadsword & Targe – Thomas Page (1746):
The BAM with our Cateran Jay Maas also interpreted the lessons on the use of the Targe according to Thomas Page´s manual: